Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Airbus Updates No.250

Incident: TAP A320 near Lajes on May 25th 2011, engine shut down in flight

By Simon Hradecky, created Thursday, May 26th 2011 10:40Z, last updated Thursday, May 26th 2011 10:40Z
A TAP Air Portugal Airbus A320-200, registration CS-TNT performing flight TP-1828 from Terceira Azores Islands to Lisbon (Portugal) with 80 passengers, was climbing out of Terceira's Lajes Airport about 10 minutes into the flight when a loud bang was heard in the cabin. The crew subsequently shut the engine (CFM56) down and returned to Lajes for a safe landing.

The flight was subsequently cancelled.

Incident: Qatar A320 near Budapest on Apr 29th 2011, cargo fire indication
By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Apr 30th 2011 07:10Z, last updated Thursday, May 26th 2011 14:41Z
A Qatar Airways Airbus A320-200, registration A7-AHF performing flight QR-94 from Vienna (Austria) to Doha (Qatar) with 95 passengers and 8 crew, was enroute at FL350 about 150nm southeast of Budapest (Hungary) already over Romania when the crew received a cargo fire indication, descended the aircraft to FL110, turned around and diverted to Budapest for a safe landing on Budapest's runway 13R about 35 minutes later and vacated the runway stopping on the adjacent taxiway. Responding emergency services found no trace of fire, heat or smoke, the passengers disembarked normally via mobile stairs. The airplane subsequently taxied to the apron.

The smoke detector was identified faulty.

The airplane was able to continue the flight after about 5 hours on the ground and reached Doha with a delay of 6.5 hours.

The Hungarian TSB's
initial notice of the serious incident mainly quoted the report by The Aviation Herald (see above) in the event description, adding the detail that the crew received a "FWD cargo smoke" indication, which ceased about 5 minutes later. The crew had initially declared Mayday, downgraded to PAN thereafter and requested a priority landing in Budapest.

Incident: Rossiya A320 at Saint Petersburg on May 27th 2011, hydraulic leak

By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, May 27th 2011 20:22Z, last updated Friday, May 27th 2011 20:22Z
A Rossiya Airbus A320-200, registration VQ-BDQ performing flight FV-6831 from Saint Petersburg (Russia) to Zakinthos (Greece), had already reached the cruise altitude of 9600 meters (FL315) when the crew detected a hydraulic leak about 200nm south of Saint Petersburg. The aircraft returned to Saint Petersburg's Pulkovo Airport, burned off fuel and landed safely on runway 28L about 2 hours after the decision to return.

A replacement Airbus A320-200 registration VQ-BBM reached Zakinthos with a delay of 3.5 hours

Incident: Air China A333 enroute on May 25th 2011, passenger camera battery catches fire
By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, May 28th 2011 13:22Z, last updated Saturday, May 28th 2011 13:30Z
An Air China Airbus A330-300, flight CA-1549 from Beijing to Shanghai (China), was enroute when cabin crew smelled smoke, located the source in an overhead locker and found a passenger's camera had caught fire due to thermal runaway of its Lithium battery. The cabin crew were able to contain the fire, cool the batteries down and thus stop the thermal runaway and resulting fire. The aircraft continued to Shanghai for a safe landing. No injuries were reported.

The airline said, the spontaneous fire resulted in about 20cm high flames. The flight and aircraft remained unaffected, the flight continued to destination.

Passengers reported the cabin crew carried the burning camera to a lavatory, other cabin crew rushed for fire extinguishers, and put the fire out in the lavatory.
Incident: Kingfisher A319 near Kolkata on May 29th 2011, cracked windshield
By Simon Hradecky, created Sunday, May 29th 2011 13:21Z, last updated Sunday, May 29th 2011 13:21Z
A Kingfisher Airbus A319-100, flight IT-25 from Delhi (India) to Bangkok (Thailand) with 144 people on board, was enroute near Kolkata when the crew decided to divert to Kolkata due to a cracked windscreen. The airplane landed safely.

A replacement aircraft reached Bangkok with a delay of 8 hours.

Maintenance suspects the windshield cracked as result of an earlier bird strike.
Incident: Thai A333 at Bangkok on May 27th 2011, engine shut down in flight
By Simon Hradecky, created Monday, May 30th 2011 14:41Z, last updated Monday, May 30th 2011 14:41Z
A Thai Airways Airbus A330-300, flight TG-602 performing flight TG-602 from Bangkok (Thailand) to Hong Kong (China), was climbing out of Bangkok about 7 minutes into the flight, when the crew needed to shut the left hand engine down and returned to Bangkok for a safe landing.

A passenger reported the left hand engine emitted two loud bangs during the climb.

A replacement Airbus A330-300 registration HS-TEH reached Hongkong with a delay of 2 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment