Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Tuesday, 5 July 2011

Airbus Updates No.329

Incident: bmi A319 near Blackpool on Jun 28th 2011, cracked windshield

By Simon Hradecky, created Wednesday, Jun 29th 2011 09:12Z, last updated Wednesday, Jun 29th 2011 09:12Z
A bmi Airbus A319-100, registration G-DBCF performing flight BD-61 from Edinburgh,SC to London Heathrow,EN (UK), was enroute at FL370 about 15nm northnortheast of Blackpool,EN (UK) about 30 minutes into the flight when the crew squawked emergency and descended the aircraft to FL100 due to a cracked windshield, average sinkrate about 1800 feet per minute. The aircraft continued to London Heathrow at FL100 and landed safely on Heathrow's runway 27R about 50 minutes after leaving FL370.

A passenger reported that the captain instructed cabin crew to discontinue service and stow the carts just after the service had ended. Some time later, about 70nm out of London the captain announced they had a cracked windshield and would be received by emergency services. The aircraft taxied to a stand, police embarked the aircraft, passengers disembarked. The passenger concluded: "The crack was quite huge."

Incident: Strategic A332 near Kuala Lumpur on Jun 16th 2011, generator failure

By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Jul 1st 2011 16:53Z, last updated Friday, Jul 1st 2011 16:55Z
A Strategic Airlines Australia Airbus A330-200, registration VH-SSA performing flight VC-246 from Brisbane,QL (Australia) to Phuket (Thailand), was enroute at FL400 near Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) when the crew decided to divert to Kuala Lumpur due to a generator failure. The aircraft landed safely.

The aircraft got stuck on the ground in Kuala Lumpur until Jun 20th, when the aircraft was finally able to continue the flight reaching Phuket with a delay of 108 hours (4.5 days).

Passengers in Phuket in the meantime were waiting to catch their flight VC-247 home to Brisbane. A small number of them were rebooked onto other flights.

A stranded passenger waiting to depart Phuket purchased a ticket on Thai Airways to get to Bangkok and Brisbane and found plenty of empty seats on those flights challenging claims that no alternative flights were available.

The airline explained that the fault was thought to be minor requiring only a short stay on the ground, however, a spare part was needed that had to be flown in from Toulouse. Another aircraft was chartered to complete the journey and bring those passengers waiting in Phuket home to Australia, however that flight didn't materialize. Passengers were provided with free accomodation, a full refund of the tickets and another free trip. Strategic is changing procedures learning from the incident and apologized to the passengers for disrupting their travel plans.

Strategic Airlines Australia was formed in 2008 and according to Australia's aircraft register owns one Airbus A330-200 and 3 Airbus A320-200.

Incident: Air Canada A333 over Pacific on Jul 1st 2011, electrical problems

By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Jul 1st 2011 19:23Z, last updated Friday, Jul 1st 2011 19:23Z
An Air Canada Airbus A330-300, registration C-GFAF performing flight AC-4 from Tokyo Narita (Japan) to Vancouver,BC (Canada) with 274 people on board, was enroute at FL300 about 220nm northeast of Tokyo when the crew decided to return to Tokyo due to electrical problems. The aircraft landed safely at Tokyo's Narita Airport about 2 hours after departure.

Japan's Ministry of Transport reported that the aircraft had departed with 2 working generators and returned with one working generator remaining. The oil of an engine's (Trent 772) integrated drive generator had overheated.

Incident: Tiger A320 near Avalon on Jun 30th 2011, reportedly descended below minimum safe altitude

By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Jul 1st 2011 11:23Z, last updated Saturday, Jul 2nd 2011 07:41Z
A Tiger Airways Airbus A320-200, registration VH-VNC performing flight TR-6207 from Sydney,NS to Avalon,VI (Australia), was on approach to Avalon's runway 18 when the aircraft reportedly descended below minimum safe altitude (MSA), the radar track showing the aircraft below FL030 (measured with standard pressure setting instead of local QNH of 1031 hPa applied, the transponder reporting the aircraft 508 feet too low) about 22nm north of Avalon while the MSA is shown at 3700 feet at that point. The aircraft went around and subsequently performed a safe landing on runway 36.

The Australian Transportation Safety Board opened an investigation into the occurrence and said, that the aircraft was reported below minimum safe altitude about 15km (8nm) from Avalon Airport without specifying whether north or south of the aerodrome.

According to the radar data available to The Aviation Herald and applying the corrections to take the local QNH into account the aircraft descended through 3208 feet 21nm north of Avalon Aerodrome at 12:55:59Z and maintained 3000 feet 17.25nm north of Avalon at 12:57:00Z. The airplane was established on the localizer runway 18 at 10.3nm north of Avalon at 3000 feet at 13:00:03Z. At 13:06:09Z the airplane was in the turn to align with runway 36 at 1900 feet about 9nm south of Avalon Airport.

On Jul 2nd Tiger Airways confirmed an instruction by Australia's Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) to suspend flights until Jul 9th and offered affected passengers a full refund or credit for deferred travel.
Incident: Emirates A332 near Kochi on Jul 2nd 2011, hydraulic failure
By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Jul 2nd 2011 19:16Z, last updated Saturday, Jul 2nd 2011 19:28Z
An Emirates Airlines Airbus A330-200, flight EK-532 (dep Jul 1st) from Dubai (United Arab Emirates) to Kochi (India) with 270 passengers, was on approach to Kochi when the crew reported the loss of pressure in a hydraulic system but continued for a safe landing at Kochi.

The return flight EK-533 with 207 passengers reached Dubai with a delay of 14 hours as a result.

Incident: Vladivostok A320 at Novosibirsk on Jul 3rd 2011, bird strike

By Simon Hradecky, created Sunday, Jul 3rd 2011 16:20Z, last updated Sunday, Jul 3rd 2011 16:21Z
A Vladivostok Avia Airbus A320-200, registration VQ-BHS performing flight XF-357 from Novosibirsk to Krasnodar (Russia) with 152 passengers and 8 crew, was in the initial climb out of Novosibirsk when the right hand engine (CFM56) ingested a bird resulting in engine vibrations. The crew stopped the climb at 2000 meters (6600 feet), entered a holding at 1500 meters (5000 feet) to burn off fuel and returned to Novosibirsk for a safe landing about 3 hours after departure.

The West Siberian Transport Prosecutor reported the engine ingested a hawk.

Incident: Air Europa A332 over Atlantic on Jul 4th 2011, technical problem

By Simon Hradecky, created Tuesday, Jul 5th 2011 10:07Z, last updated Tuesday, Jul 5th 2011 10:07Z
An Air Europa Airbus A330-200, registration EC-KTG performing flight UX-63 from Madrid,SP (Spain) to Cancun (Mexico), was enroute at FL360 over the Atlantic about 400nm west of Porto (Portugal) when the crew decided to return to Madrid due to some technical problem. The airplane descended to FL100 still over the Atlantic and landed safely back on Madrid's runway 33L about 4.5 hours after the decision to return and about 6 hours after departure. The airplane stopped on the runway due to loss of nosewheel steering and was towed to the apron.

A replacement Airbus A330-200 registration EC-JZL departed about 4.5 hours after landing and reached Cancun with a delay of 10 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment